University Admission Requirements
A student applying to a master's program must:
- have earned a four-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a college or university that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association, or do so within one academic year
- present unofficial transcripts from each college or university other than Illinois State at which graduate, undergraduate, or non-degree credit was earned. The unofficial transcript should be easily readable and clearly indicate degree(s) awarded, courses and course grades for each term. If accepted, official transcripts can be emailed from the university to GraduateAdmissions@IllinoisState.edu or mailed in a sealed envelope to: Illinois State University, Graduate School, 209 Hovey Hall, Campus Box 4040, Normal, IL 61790-4040.
International students can learn more about specific application requirements by visiting the Office of Admissions.
Additional Program Admission Requirements
To be considered for this program, you must meet the following requirements.
Undergraduate Coursework and GPA
You must have an undergraduate degree in History or a related field. Your undergraduate cumulative GPA needs to be 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or higher.
Submit a personal a personal statement that includes:
- Why you want to pursue a graduate degree in History
- Your academic or life experiences that shaped your intellectual development
- Your particular areas of interest in the field of history
- What you hope to achieve or accomplish as a graduate student in history
Length: 250-500 words
Include a brief resume with your application.
Submit a sample of your writing, such as a research paper.
Length: 10-20 pages
Reference Contact Information
Submit names and email addresses of two references for letters of recommendation. References should be familiar with your academic work.
TOEFL Score (International Students Only)
International students must have a TOEFL score of at least 94 iBT or IELTS score of at least 7.0 band.
Our department does not require but does accept GRE scores. Use institutional code 1319 if you want to submit your GRE scores to Illinois State.
Admission Dates and Deadlines
|Fall (August)||January 31|
|Spring (January)||October 15|
|Summer (May/June)||April 1|
|John Reda, PhD||Schroeder Hall email@example.com||(309) 438-8592|